Author Topic: National team 2010  (Read 70208 times)

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
Landsem agrees
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2010, 11:17:28 PM »
"It leaves a sour taste. We were good. It's extra sour because we were on top," said national coach Eli Landsem after the football girls suffered a narrow 1-2 defeat to the US in the Algarve Cup on Friday

The first match of this year's Algarve Cup ended with a 2-2 draw with Sweden, but the national coach was more satisfied with the US match.

"This gave the players a good experience. We were on speaking terms with the world's best national team," Landsem told NTB after the lost to the Olympic gold medallists.

Muddy

"Why was this an extra sour defeat? It's not unusual for Norway to lose to the US?

"Because we ran the game for large periods of the match. The pitch was extremely wet and muddy, and their first goal came from a backpass stopping in the mud. The second came two minutes into injury time. That made it sour," the national team coach claimed.

Landsem had made many changes from the starting XI against Sweden.

"We made a lot of changes, putting on light, fast players, while leaving more established players on the bench. Those who started did very well, even though they ran out of gas towards the end. All in all, I'm very satisfied with our performance."

100 %

What are you most satisfied with?

"That we execute our plans to 100 %, exactly as we set it out, and that we're better than the US in parts of the game. We have one year to reach their level," Landsem said, thinking of the World Cup finals in Germany this coming summer.

Both of the US' goals were scored by Abby Wambach, one of the world's top female footballers. Norway's goal came after 63 minutes. Isabell Herlovsen found the net only three minutes after leaving the subs' bench.

http://nrksport.no/fotball/1.7015016

---

Landsem seems to agree that it was a good match.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:51:23 PM by Samuel Vimes »
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
US 2-1 Norway - match stats
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2010, 12:47:21 AM »
USA (4-4-2): Barnhart; Mitts, Buehler, Cox, Schnur (Whitehill 46'); O'Reilly, Boxx (C) (Averbuch 64'), Lloyd, Lindsey (Rodriguez 77'); Cheney, Wambac
Norway (4-4-2): Colombo Nilsen; Hetland Akerhaugen, Fiane Christensen, Mjelde, Strand Gardsjord; Knutsen Mienna (Larsen Kaurin 61'),Storløkken (C) (Stensland 61'), Woods (Gulbrandsen 61'), Klaveness; Mykjåland (Wiik 75'), Thorsnes (Herlovsen 61')

Goals: 1-0 Wambach 13', 1-1 Herlovsen 63', 2-1 Wambach 90+2'
Yellow cards: Lloyd 76'; Fiane Christensen 11'
Referee: Cha Sung-Mi, South Korea
300 spectators in Vila de Real San António
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Re: National team 2010
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2010, 01:09:50 AM »
They could send that photo to Sepp Blatter and ask if that is what he had in mind?
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
Norway vs Iceland - live?
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2010, 05:23:52 PM »
Semi-live ticker by Morgunbladhidh (translation by our friends at google).

Unfortunately, the football-specific terms don't translate well, though I think "skallamark" means "headed goal" and "aukaspyrnu" a "high ball" (spyrnu is definitely ball, auka should be related to our "øke")

HT 1-0. Not as good as I'd hoped, but better than last year. Apparently Norway have hit the post ("boltinn small i stöng") and had some dangerous corner kicks ("hættulegar hornspyrnur")

Heh. Well, unibet now says it's 3-1 (Iceland equalised and then Norway made two quick goals) and the newspaper is still stuck at 1-0.

74th minute (though the above link disagrees on the time, too): another goal for Iceland. Not great, this.

I love the way Icelandic actually sounds like joke Norse. I'm sorry. I'm a bad person, I know.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:36:33 PM by Samuel Vimes »

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2010, 07:30:31 PM »
Final score 3-2. Seems as if we mess up at the end of the matches.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2010, 07:52:19 PM »
Means we get another match against decent opposition though. Probably Finland (well, decent may be stretching things considering they were whupped 7-0 by Germany)

Iceland's second goal was straight from a corner. Sounds sloppy. (Or just strong winds, maybe.). Norway's third goal headed in after a corner.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
First full 90, first goal for Woods?
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2010, 08:26:54 PM »
Good attacking play secures win

Team chief Eli Landsem was well pleased with the attack when Norway beat Iceland 3-2 in the Algarve Cup.  They finished the group stage of the Algarve Cup with a win, good attacking play outmaneouvring Iceland's warriors.

"It was a highly deserved win.  We were really and created a lot after good play.  The only minus was that we went to sleep on two set pieces against us", said Landsem.

Norway delivered a good performance in the 2-1 loss to USA on Friday and followed it up in today's match.  "We had a good basic defensive structure, and managed to play good football.  I am most pleased that we retained the ball and played it amongst ourselves, and that allowed us to create chances", said the chief.

Landsem thinks the team is ready to come into good form.  "We have had good responses to targets agreed before the tournament.  Several players have worked on those and we have good competition for places", she said.

IN today's match it was Solveig Gulbrandsen who opened the scoring for Norway after only eight minutes.  Ten minutes into the second half Margrét Lára Viðarsdóttir equalised, but Gulbrandsen took the lead agains only three minutes later.  In the 62nd minute Lisa-Marie Woods netted for Norway.  It was a win, even though the marking went awry on a corner in the 72nd minute when Hólmfríður Magnúsdóttir reduced the score to 3-2.

"In the first half we created four good chances.  We were good, played football and played up in the spaces while being tight in defence.  We continued with that in the second half", said Landsem.

On Wednesday there will be a placing match but the opponents are not known yet.  

NORWAY – ICELAND 3-2 (1-0)
Éstadio Dr. Francisco Vieira, Silves 01-03-2010.
Spectators: 200.
Ref: Katerina Monzul, Ukraina.
Cards: one yellow to Iceland
Goals: 1-0 Solveig Gulbrandsen (8.min). 1-1 Margrét Lára Viðarsdóttir (55.min). 2-1 Solveig Gulbrandsen (58.min). 3-1 Lisa-Marie Woods (62.min). 3-2 Hólmfríður Magnúsdóttir (73.min).

Norway (4-4-2):
Ingrid Hjelmseth –
Hedda Strand Garsjord, Ingvild Stensland, Maren Mjelde, Toril Akerhaugen –
Leni Larsen Kaurin (Lise Klaveness 65.min), Solveig Gulbrandsen, Trine Rønning (Lene Storløkken 46.min), Lisa-Marie Woods –
Lene Mykjåland (Marit Fiane Christensen 90.min), Isabell Herlovsen (Cecilie Pedersen 65.min).

Erlend M. Aas http://www.fotball.no/Landslag_og_toppfotball/Landslag/A-kvinner/2010/Godt-angrepsspill-sikret-seier/

Ingvild as a full-back? Solveig and Trine as central midfielders?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:51:37 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2010, 09:21:03 PM »
It's better than swapping Rønning and Stensland around imo - at least Stensland has some pace & three extra inches. Plus, we've been stale for the last few matches, if we're getting a midfield & attack that creates some chances, no problem here... :)

Norway play Denmark in the fifth-place match btw.

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
    • Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2010, 10:13:24 PM »
And you know, for all the crap that 'arbeidsknaggene' has given me, translation-wise, it honestly sounds quite positive. I've now seen that word in at least 3 articles. It means Landsem has given them goals for right now. Obviously I don't know all the little details, but it sounds like she gave them goals for this tourney, in the short term. Smaller things they can achieve and hopefully build on.

I always got the vibe that BB was more interested in results than how they went about them. Almost like if they didn't win, they automatically failed. I can't imagine that did much to bolster the players' confidence.

And now, Landsem seems more interested in how they progressed through the game than the end result. Obviously, if this were a WC year, I'd be a little worried, but she has plenty of time to build her team on her terms.
If the only prayer you say in your whole life is thank you, that would suffice.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2010, 10:27:23 PM »
 . . and it makes me think that if they find themselves in a different position, it is not without plenty of discussion first  ;)
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2010, 10:35:08 PM »
Almost like if they didn't win, they automatically failed.

which is such a bizarre way to think about sports...

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2010, 10:44:29 PM »
:P

I just think BB's patience was wore far too thin.   

I'm in no way saying Landsem is already successful, but I do like what I'm hearing from her, as well as the match reports of how the girls are playing.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2010, 10:48:36 PM »
That wasn't actually sarcastic. (May be an attitude produced by being fairly poor at sports myself, but to me, it's always about pushing yourself to the limit...for both teams. That 50 % of the people on a field have failed because of the scoreline seems too simple an explanation.)

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2010, 10:58:35 PM »
You weren't being sarcastic? Really? :D Sorry then. In that case, yes, I agree completely! It's never healthy to associate self-worth with wins vs losses as a player.   

(I'm just so happy my team's playing again. And I'm excited about their future.)

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2010, 11:52:54 PM »
A bit late, but I went ahead and translated it anyway from the fotball.no write-up of the U.S. match:

A sour loss after good performance

The Norwegian football girls went for the win against the United States in the Algarve Cup, but were punished in overtime.

The Norwegian women's national team delivered a good game against the reigning Olympic champions from the United States in the group play match of the Algarve Cup. They held the match at 1-1 for a long while, but two minutes into overtime, the U.S. scored and the Americans ran away with all three points.

- It was sour to lose at the very end because we were fully on par with them. When we evaluate this match, the players see that there are many positives to take away. I am very pleased with the girls today, coach Eli Landsem said to fotball.no.

After an average performance with a 2-2 draw against Sweden in the opening match, it seems to Landsem that the game was considerably raised in today's battle.

- We showed a nice progression. Against Sweden, we were good at times in the game. Today we were good for longer periods of the match, and managed to produce several chances, said the coach.

- Although we lacked a little extra, we got a good response playing against the very best. In the finals we'll be there, she adds.

Abby Wambach tipped the scales with her two goals. After 14 minutes, she lost a duel against Maren Mjelde, but Mjelde'sback pass stalled in the mud and the American tipped it in, making it 1-0. In the 63rd minute, Isabell Herlovsen headed one in, after a good pass from Leni Larsen Kaurin. Two minutes into overtime, Wambach gave three points to the U.S. after Norway had been pushed back in the final minutes.

- We ran the first ten minutes, before it leveled out. The last 20 of the firs thalf, we were good. We were able to take advantage of the room and created good chances. In the second half, they worked hard in the middle the first quarter, before we made four changes that resulted in scoring once. In the final minutes, we played a bit on the heels, sums up the coach.

The fight was played under difficult conditions with surface water and mud up to the side of the shoes in some places.

- It was the same for both teams. It was a very difficult path, but we gave as good as the U.S., said Landsem.

Iceland next

On Monday, Norway meets Iceland in the final group match. Iceland lost 2-1 against Sweden today, and 2-0 against the United States on Monday.

- There may be talk about the goal difference in the group, so we must be prepared. We have shown a great success and will continue working with our sporting goals against Iceland, end Eli Landsem.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:42:19 AM by Bonnie Lass »

Offline Erik-t

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2010, 12:27:09 AM »
It is bad, but it seems that the TV2 camera team that covered the tournament has gone home this week. :-\ I don't think there have been any clips from today's match on either TV2 or TV2 Nyhetskanalen (news channel). Last week the sent pretty good report from Algarve in the sport news at 22.45 on the news channel.

Is there then any chance to see anything from the matches today? I don't think so.

Edit: I was wrong. I have just seen the sport news from 22.45 and they had a clip for the match with goals, an interview with coach Eli Landsem and a short picture of the norwegian players thanking for the support from, I guess, 20-30 supporters in Algarve.

The match seemed pretty good and entertaining with som nice goals. Landsem said that she meant that the result didn't reflect the norwegian performance that she found very good. She was happy with the ability to create chances. I also noticed that the weather in Portugal was good today.

Credit to TV2 that have given some attention to this tournament, even in these olympic times.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:51:22 AM by Erik-t »

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2010, 07:38:47 AM »
Probably because of the Olympic times. They have been hit hard these two weeks, and had few expectations beforehand.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2010, 12:32:27 PM »
Norway played today against Iceland.  Norway won 3-2 after two goals by Solveig Gulbrandsen and one by Lisa-Marie Woods.

"We played 4-4-2 and I was at left midfield.  We ran the match and had full control up to half time.  In the second half the play was a little more variable", said Woods on the phone from the Algarve.

Lisa-Marie Woods scored her first goal for the A-team.  "The goal came from a corner which I headed straight into goal.  You know I am the boss in the air with my two metres!".  For those who don't know, she is 5ft 1in.  "It was great to score and extra fun that the goal gave us a win because we deserved it in this match", said Lisa-Marie before she was interrupted by a joyful Maren Mjelde.

Lisa-Marie, Solveig, Toril (Akerhaugen), Ingrid (Hjelmseth) and Trine (Rønning) played from the start, while Lise (Klaveness) came in after 60 minutes.  

Stabæk Media http://www.stabak.no/kvinner/article10583.ece
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2010, 01:48:04 PM »
The first half against Denmark is just completed. Doubt there's updates anywhere but betting sites, but the score is nil-nil.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2010, 02:12:22 PM »
Denmark takes the lead two minutes into the second half.

Must say I didn't expect a loss to this Danish side. They've stood still these past five years or so.

And now 2-0. :(
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:24:15 PM by Samuel Vimes »