Author Topic: National team 2010  (Read 70207 times)

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
Re: National team 2010
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2010, 11:36:26 PM »
Wow. They even misspelled Knutsen and Ingvild in that report.

And Gardsjord. (Though the rest of the world did until recently, too.)
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2010, 11:46:03 PM »
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
    • Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2010, 11:50:58 PM »
According to the Norwegian media, Gardsjord has a minimum of 5 different spellings.

:D
If the only prayer you say in your whole life is thank you, that would suffice.

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2010, 12:07:42 AM »
Question: When an article mentions 'nok' what does that mean? I'm assuming it means 'good' or 'well.' (???)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:12:04 AM by Bonnie Lass »

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2010, 12:17:59 AM »
"nok" is one of those words which has any number of meanings, but in this case it means roughly "enough" or "adequately".

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2010, 12:20:05 AM »
Ahhh. Thanks for that. Now how about arbeidsknaggene?

Work something, labor something? I'm pretty sure it's plural.  :-\

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2010, 12:45:23 AM »
Ahhh. Thanks for that. Now how about arbeidsknaggene?

Work something, labor something? I'm pretty sure it's plural.  :-\

A "knagg" is a "peg", especially used to hang up clothes. In metaphorical terms, it's their main targets for the day. Sport psychology term presumably. Would translate it with "our working targets" or something.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:47:27 AM by Samuel Vimes »

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
A decent start to the tournament
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2010, 01:10:52 AM »
OK, most of the work done by Bonnie at bigsoccer, but I'll steal it anyway. (please tell if you want this deleted)

Eli Landsem was somewhat happy with the 2-2 result in the opening match against Sweden at the Algarve Cup.

The Norwegian women's national team opened the Algarve Cup by drawing 2-2 against Sweden. After a good start, the Norwegian performance dropped throughout the match.

- We played a first half where we were at least level with Sweden, and then some. We created chances, scored goals, and kept Sweden away from the goal. In the second half we really struggled, and failed to move our feet well, "said coach Landsem to fotball.no.

- In the first half, we managed to get more into them and got good breaks, but after the break we were running in between and Sweden were good, "she explains.

With one point in the opening match, Norway has still all the opportunities to do well in the Algarve Cup.

- This was a quite decent start for us. With one point we hang on, and we got some good experiences today. So we must continue to work hard with our main sporting goals, says Landsem.

Meeting USA

Friday brings another tough challenge when the U.S. is on the other side. The Americans won 2-0 in their opening match against Iceland, although Iceland missed two penalties.

- The United States was a little heavy in their legs today, and so were we. We should be well prepared to meet the challenge, and we will hatch a plan for how we should take them, "said coach.

- The key to the United States is to be compact defensively, but also to find the right spaces and daring to use them, end Eli Landsem.

NORWAY - SWEDEN 2-2 (2-1)

Goals: 0-1 Lindy Melissa Wiik (7), 0-2 Marit Fiane Christensen (12), 1-2 Linda Sembrant (20), 2-2 Jessica Landström (53).

Norway (4-4-2) Ingrid Hjelmseth – Hedda Strand Gardsjord, Marit Fiane Christensen, Maren Mjelde, Toril Hetland Akerhaugen – Leni Larsen Kaurin (Guro Knutsen Mienna fra 72.), Solveig Gulbrandsen, Ingvild Stensland, Lise Klaveness (Lisa-Marie Woods fra 72.) – Isabell Herlovsen, Lindy Melissa Wiik.
Sweden (4-4-2): Hedvig Lindahl - Lina Nilsson, Sara Larsson, Linda Sembrant, Sara Thunebro - Therese Sjögran, Petra Larsson (Lisa Dahlkvist 64'), Caroline Seger [C] (Nilla Fischer 76'), Louise Fors (Kosovare Asllani 64') - Jessica Landström (Sara Lindén 84'), Lotta Schelin.

Attendance: 210 at Estadio Municipal, Vila Real de Santo António.
Referee: Kirsi Heikkinen, Finland.

http://www.fotball.no/Landslag_og_toppfotball/Landslag/A-kvinner/2010/--En-ok-start-pa-turneringen/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:34:43 AM by Samuel Vimes »

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2010, 01:32:35 AM »
Crap. I was trying to think of how to phrase the labor pegs bit and got stuck in chat with someone. I had every intention of posting it here. I was trying to polish it up a bit for you Norwegians though. :P

Let me know if this is too much of a stretch (with Samuel's re-worked bit):

Dette var en helt ok start for oss. Med ett poeng henger vi med, og vi fikk noen gode opplevelser i dag. Så må vi fortsette å jobbe hardt med arbeidsknaggene våre, forteller Landsem.

- This was a quite decent start for us. With one point we hang on, and we got some good experiences today. So we must continue to work hard towards our sporting goals, says Landsem.

Using work and then working sounds a little clunky to me. Just curious.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2010, 01:34:21 AM »
- This was a quite decent start for us. With one point we hang on, and we got some good experiences today. So we must continue to work hard towards our sporting goals, says Landsem.

Using work and then working sounds a little clunky to me. Just curious.

Yup, absolutely. Agree with the redundant words.

Sorry about beating you to the punch.

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2010, 01:46:13 AM »
No, no. You're fine. I was slow to the punch. Usually on BS, I can give an accurate, although somewhat sloppy translation, and I wanted to work a little harder for all y'all here. (Speaking of redundant ...)

When translating, I'm never sure how much editing I should do to make the words flow better. Obviously, switching around some words is necessary. But like with the above, while I've completely changed the words, the meaning still stands.

Thanks for your help, Sammie!

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2010, 01:59:07 AM »
When translating, I'm never sure how much editing I should do to make the words flow better. Obviously, switching around some words is necessary. But like with the above, while I've completely changed the words, the meaning still stands.

I tend to go pretty far with words. Mainly because the word choice is occasionally so dismal that I really don't want to translate it word for word. "Arbeidsknaggene" is such a horrible management/performance culture word that it ideally should be buried somewhere in Finnmark and forgotten.

Thanks for your help, Sammie!

? In which case, should I be flattered? ;)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2010, 10:46:36 AM »
When translating, I'm never sure how much editing I should do to make the words flow better. Obviously, switching around some words is necessary.
Good work, Bonnie . . Definitely go for the flow every time.  Readers only want to read about football and they are mostly not interested in having a language lesson, that's what I think anyway.  And I hate management jargon as much as anyone.

Any sloppy translation is infinitely better than no translation :)

I would like the NFF report to say how the goals happened.  Melissa scoring is good news, the other goal by Marit Fiane must have been from a set piece, one of those where she goes and lurks over the defenders near the goal?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:18:07 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2010, 11:12:34 AM »
An article that anyone could have written from looking at the results:

Melissa Wiik and Marit Fiane Christensen gave Eli Landsem's team a 2-0 lead in the first 15 minutes, and Norway had Sweden on their knees again.  

Sweden were looking for revenge for the European Cup match last year, and Linda Sembrandt got them back into the game with a reducer in the 20th minute.  Early in the second half Jessica Landström equalised.

In the other matches the USA opened with a 2-0 win over Iceland and Germany beat Denmark 4-0 with goals by Melanie Beringer, Brigit Prinz and Inka Grings (2).

http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article162370.ece

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:17:07 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
Women: 2-2 against Norway at Algarve
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »
The Swedish perspective - which also describes the goals

0-2 after 15 minutes against Norway, but this time the women's national team came back and drew 2-2 in the first national match of the year.

"We met the wall in the first 20 minutes, to use the skiing term. It was an anxious, insecure and wavering old Sweden that took the field at the start," national coach Thomas Dennerby said about the tough start to the season opener.

The deficient play was harshly punished; Norway didn't create many obvious chances, but scored two quick goals.

"0-1 was a consequence of weak defensive play on our part. Norway throw into the box and miss their shot, but it ends up as a good pass across the box. The second goal was a free kick from a huge distance where a Norwegian centre back [Marit!!!!] wins the challenge in the air and nods the ball into the far corner," Dennerby says.

"At least we succeeded in changing the match complexion after the first 20 minutes, we make some moves in the team and gain control of the game. Norway didn't use the midfield at all, but knocked every ball far and high, so when we challenged more, we got more possession. We were still too stressed, trailing 0-2 we made too many impatient attempts at hitting key passes."

Sweden got an important goal just before half-time through Linda Sembrandt, who got a long toe to a good corner kick from Louise Fors, but neither team showed a high class of football.

"In the second half, it's like a completely different team took the field. We played quality passes, moved about, had plenty of people joining attack and pushed them all over the field. It looked like what it had been at our best previous season, and Norway just had to keep us at bay. Hedvig [Lindahl, goalkeeper] had nothing to do for 20-25 minutes, we had a really great period."

Jessica Landström equalised eight minutes into the second half, and notched up her tenth international goal.

"Norway recovered towards the end, but we owned the last five minutes and injury time. We had two good opportunities to decide the match towards the end, with the largest one when Jessica was one-on-one with the keeper," Dennerby says.

2-2 was the final result, an acceptable result considering Norway have started their season already with two internationals against England and China at La Manga.

Sweden's next match is on Friday, against Iceland.

http://svenskfotboll.se/arkiv/landslag/2010/02/dam-oavgjort-mot-norge-i-algarve/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:53:18 PM by Samuel Vimes »

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »
Oh, and as far as I can work out, this was Isabell Herlovsen's 50th international.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2010, 04:51:36 PM »
Free kick from huge distance? - that's got Leni's fingerprints on it :)
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »
US 2-1 Norway.

More to follow.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »
The best report I can get out of the US match-tracker:

The US came out strongly against an experimental Norway midfield of Klaveness, G Knutsen, Woods, Storløkken. After dominating the first 25 minutes, scoring a goal after what the US matchtracker seems to describe a somewhat dubious incident where Wambach used her strength to get rid of the defence. After a while, Norway got into the match, and were the better side in the second quarter. The US again came out strongly in the second half, and had a shot in the post and another probably correctly ruled out for offside, a regathered rebound, but Norway scored on one of their few chances, with Kaurin providing the cross and Herlovsen finishing off the move with a header.

The US woke up again in the final 15 minutes and earned their victory; Christine Colombo Nilsen made a number of saves, but eventually Wambach scored amid the barrage of rebounds. Norway's fourth match without a win. Still got a while to reach Berntsen's record of seven matches in 2008-09 starting with the 1-5 Japan match. Norway do need to beat Iceland to avoid another 9th place play-off, though.

Norway (note: positions are guesses): Colombo Nilsen; Strand Gardsjord, Mjelde, Fiane Christensen, Hetland Akerhaugen; G Knutsen Mienna (Larsen Kaurin 61'), Klaveness, Storløkken (Stensland 61'), Woods (Gulbrandsen 61'); Mykjåland (Wiik 74'), Pedersen (Herlovsen 61')

1-0 Wambach 13'
1-1 Herlovsen 64'
2-1 Wambach 90+2'

yellow cards: Fiane Christensen 10', Lloyd 75'

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2010, 09:22:02 PM »
Hrm. The U.S. fans make it sound like it was a pretty good game, although I wonder if their win sort of taints their view?

I'm just glad it wasn't another blow out like it was a couple of years ago. I really hope those days are over. Roster experimentation or not.