Author Topic: National team 2010  (Read 70206 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Gry Tofte Ims debut
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 02:49:52 PM »
Klepp captain Gry Tofte Ims had her debut in the senior national team and played the whole match against China yesterday when Norway lost 0-1 at La Manga.  "We hung together well in one half, but after that we were empty.  You could see we were out of our season", said Eli Landsem after her first defeat as the chief trainer.

Tofte Ims is the first Klepp player in the national team since Ane Stangeland Horpestad.  Klepp trainer Kenneth Eidsaunet is naturally pleased.  "It motivates young players at our club to see that you can qualify for the national team by playing at Klepp.  It shows that hard work pays off.  That is what Gry has done.  This is great for Gry and Klepp.  We have a goal of producing national team players", he said.        

Kent Roar Nybø, Bernhard Veland
http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article159304.ece

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:01:43 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Giske looking for a new chance against England
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 02:59:51 PM »
Anneli Giske had 20 minutes on the field as a substitute in Norway's surprising loss to China at La Manga.  The Fløya captain played the last 20 minutes of the 0-1 match.

"I had the order to go in and turn the match round, but it was easier said than done.  I don't think I did badly", said Giske, who now hopes to be in the starting team against England on Friday.  "Eli said everybody here would get match-time, so I am hoping I have not used up all my quota yet".

But the loss to China came as a surprise to her and the rest of the team.  "China is really a team we should beat.  We played well in the first half but in the second half we got stressed after they scored their goal, and did not recover", she said.

"We are trying out a lot of things, and the friendlies here are mostly to explore various ideas, so winning or losing is not the most important thing", said Anneli Giske.    

Tobias Stein Eilertsen http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article159318.ece
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:02:58 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline law10

• View Profile
Re: National team 2010
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 04:17:08 PM »
Regarding Stensland and Christensen in the back.  Say you are playing the Germans and they are floating Prinz and Garefrekes into your box and targeting them.  Or perhaps it is the Swedes and it's Landström and Schelin.  How do you attain a position of power and control and not be vulnerable?  

Men are much more adept in the air and as a result it is very common to see tall central defenders.  NBA vertical and the gifts to apply it to the game are extremely rare in female players so that leaves height as your only option.  It may not be the correct strategy against some South American lineups or a French or Italian women's team, but you need to be prepared for all situations.

And forgive me if these were posted earlier, but I just came across this great set from the Euro's.  The quality is uncanny:

http://futisforum2.org/index.php?topic=82419.0

http://futisforum2.org/index.php?topic=83557.0

http://futisforum2.org/index.php?topic=81927.0
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:21:11 PM by law10 »

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »
Regarding Stensland and Christensen in the back.  Say you are playing the Germans and they are floating Prinz and Garefrekes into your box and targeting them.  Or perhaps it is the Swedes and it's Landström and Schelin.  How do you attain a position of power and control and not be vulnerable?  
There may be another way.  I don't know if you saw Germany v Japan in the Under-20 World Cup just over a year ago, a really excellent match, and an eyeopener as the big powerful German defenders became more and more frustrated with the nimble Japanese players practically running rings round them.  So size and power are not always the answer. 
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 05:28:43 PM »
I did Alan and their U17's were actually more monstrous.  They made the Americans look like little children in their group  and literally annihilated the French.  That was the bit about the South American, French and Italians.  If you are playing against Messi, Tevez, Wright-Phillips and Michael Owen you obviously don't need much height.  But there is a good reason short central defenders in the men's game are very uncommon, and if you are lined up against players of the stature I mentioned, you would be well advised to limit your vulnerability.  Stensland could well be the ultimate central defender - size, intelligence, physicality and mobility.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 10:25:05 PM »
Undoubtedly most defenders are quite tall and especially central defenders so they can win the ball on corners . . there are some smaller side-backs around, Huse for example, and it will be interesting if Woods is tried as a side-back for Norway as she is 5 ft 2in, but not someone you would want to collide with :)  she used to play right-back for Asker. 

Interesting that they tried Stensland as a central defender last night because that was her former job at Kolbotn and it was Berntsen who started her later career as a centre-back.  When she went to Gothenburg one of the attractions she listed was that she could be a midfielder. 
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 11:17:43 PM »
Christensen is probably the best defender we have and she's almost 6 feet tall. So she's cool. Stensland is great too, but she's really the only anchor we have, and if we're to use her in defense, I's much rather go for a 4-3-3. But Mjelde did well in defense, and Akerhaugen is a decent central defender (what's with playing her on the right?), so she has options. Which is the point. It seems as if Eli stil hasn't decided on who should play defense. She has most of the year to decide, though.

I am a bit more concerned with Klaveness. She's a good player, but she hasn't impressed all that much on the WNT.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 02:00:17 AM »
Christensen is probably the best defender we have and she's almost 6 feet tall. So she's cool. Stensland is great too, but she's really the only anchor we have, and if we're to use her in defense, I's much rather go for a 4-3-3.

Yeah, this. We're basically stuffing our midfield with people who can't tackle (Giske duly excepted) if we put Stensland at the back. And we're also putting the most useful passer in the team (even though that's not saying too much at present, sadly) well away from the action.

But Mjelde did well in defense, and Akerhaugen is a decent central defender (what's with playing her on the right?), so she has options. Which is the point. It seems as if Eli stil hasn't decided on who should play defense. She has most of the year to decide, though.

I am a bit more concerned with Klaveness. She's a good player, but she hasn't impressed all that much on the WNT.

The team has to improve leaps and bounds from what we saw in October to stand any chance in the play-offs, not just in defence. The last 180 minutes of football has seen no goals scored by Norway, which of course is too little to sound the alarm bells, but does suggest that we need to find a better balance in midfield. I think she and the team are a bit uncertain about who can work where at the moment - there are all the returning players, and all-rounded players who can work in different positions than usual do exist (don't think Rønning & Akerhaugen are among them, and I'll go fairly spare if Rønning plays central defence again...).

This may be why Landsem has set up so many matches in the preparation to this season, she wants to test out as many combinations as possible. This training camp is essentially only matches (even though I doubt the reports that we're playing China again on Saturday), then there's the matches every week in Valhall, and then the Algarve Cup (though that happens all the time of course). This is fair enough, but I'm uncertain whether you get the same answers with "half-fit" players who are doing pre-season conditional work as you would with fit players. The runs that don't work because someone is marking you might just do it if you have a yard extra pace, for example. Though if you want to bond the squad, perhaps playing matches is a better option than having training sessions where everyone tackles each other and tries to impress - and perhaps building a team again instead of having all sorts of cliques is the main aim of this training camp.

I hope some sort of stable first choice line-up has formed by the end of the Algarve, though.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
    • Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 04:51:05 AM »
I don't know. One of the best battles of the year was Stensland and Smith going at it during their friendly this past summer. I'd much rather have them battle Stensland in midfield, or even 'almost defense,' before getting to the backline. And, god bless her little heart, Stensland's not built for speed. And let's not forget the distribution she brings, as was mentioned above.

(Sorry if none of this makes sense. I'm on my ... 50th hour of working in four days. I'm knackered. :P )

If the only prayer you say in your whole life is thank you, that would suffice.

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
Norge spilte 1-1 mot England i dag!
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 11:00:07 PM »
"Super" Mari Knudsen just posted the result of the Norway - England match at the LSK Kvinner website:

http://www.lsk-kvinner.no/sak/003907.asp

Norge – England 1-1 (0-0)

Stadion: La Manga
Tilskuere: ca 60.
Dommer: Elia Maria Martinez, Spania.
Gult kort: Fara Williams - England.
Mål: 0-1 Fara Williams (47.min). 1-1 Marit Fiane Christensen (82.min).

Norges lag (4-4-2): Ingrid Hjelmseth – Lisa Marie Woods, Marit Fiane Christensen, Maren Mjelde (Hedda Strand Gardjord 46.min), Toril Hetland Akerhaugen – Leni Larsen Kaurin, Solveig Gulbrandsen, Anneli Giske, Lise Klaveness – Isabell Herlovsen, Cecilie Pedersen (Lene Mykjåland 80.min).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:03:22 PM by norge95 »
Bente Nordby - Verdens Beste Keeper

Vær snill og rett feilene mine
(Please correct my mistakes)

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 11:04:48 PM »
I don't know. One of the best battles of the year was Stensland and Smith going at it during their friendly this past summer. I'd much rather have them battle Stensland in midfield, or even 'almost defense,' before getting to the backline. And, god bless her little heart, Stensland's not built for speed. And let's not forget the distribution she brings, as was mentioned above.

(Sorry if none of this makes sense. I'm on my ... 50th hour of working in four days. I'm knackered. :P )

Makes more sense than Stensland playing central defence, imo...  ;)

Anyway, a 1-1 draw against England today. Improvement!

Good performance by Norway
The women's team had deserved a win against England tonight, but the national team coach was satisfied with the performance.

The Norwegian football girls are gathered at La Manga, and played to a 1-1-draw with England in a friendly match against last year's Euro finalist, England.

"We're very happy with the match, but not the result. We performed very well, I counted 7-2 in chances for us," national team coach Eli Landsem says to fotball.no.

Norway failed to score an early penalty, and bossed the match, creating several good opportunities. Even though England scored just after the break, the Norwegian girls continued to play well, and ten minutes before the end of the match Marit Fiane Christensen towered above everyone in the penalty area, forcing 1-1 after a free kick.

"We had plenty of pace and intensity throughout. We had more room in the second half, and created more chances," Landsem explains.

Landsem wanted an early training camp to get a look at several players. She's satisfied with her answers.

"A number of players have staked claims, while some players haven't been at the required level," she relates.

The Norwegian girls travel home on Sunday; despite the loss to China, the national team coach thinks the camp worked well.

"The first match came upon us suddenly, and we ran out of power in the second half. Today, we kept our level up impressively, especially considering it's early season," Landsem ends.

Norway 1 (Marit Fiane Christensen 82') England 1 (Fara Williams 47')
attendance: 60-70, La Manga
Referee: Elia Maria Martínez
booking: Fara Williams

Norway: Ingrid Hjelmseth – Lisa Marie Woods, Marit Fiane Christensen, Maren Mjelde (Hedda Strand Gardsjord 46'), Toril Hetland Akerhaugen – Leni Larsen Kaurin, Solveig Gulbrandsen, Anneli Giske, Lise Klaveness – Isabell Herlovsen, Cecilie Pedersen (Lene Mykjåland 80').

Erlend Marius Aas http://www.fotball.no/Landslag_og_toppfotball/Landslag/A-kvinner/2010/God-gjennomforing-av-Norge/ (or norge's link)

--

NTB/Dagbladet report:

http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/01/15/sport/fotball/norge/england/eli_landsem/9949732/

Main information from that:

Lise Klaveness was the failing penalty taker.

Landsem on the goal: "We dozed a bit on a throw-in, and the keeper fell asleep a bit, too. A totally unnecessary goal."

NTB also claims there is an unofficial match scheduled against China. This tallies with the La Manga published schedule, but fotball.no steadfastly refuses to acknowledge its existence.

---

Akerhaugen still stuck on the side back (the line-up suggests left back, why not, she's been shunted around everywhere), while Marit Fiane now has 180 minutes in central defence. Mykjåland now up to 10 minutes of play, which makes me hope there is another match.

Interesting that she's so honest about some players "not being up to the level" (the Norwegian: "ikke holder nivået") too. Not something that national team coaches tend to say, invites to speculation around who aren't up to it (though presumably the players in question already know it, and aren't told on the airport on Sunday night).

Will leave comments on Hjelmseth to Andreas.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 11:31:57 PM »
"Tusen takk" for posting so much information about today's match (in English ;) ) so soon.   8)

NTB also claims there is an unofficial match scheduled against China. This tallies with the La Manga published schedule, but fotball.no steadfastly refuses to acknowledge its existence.

This is a bit strange.  However, if Norway were going to play China tomorrow I would think there would have been some mention about this by Eli Landsem.   
???

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 11:35:44 PM »
This is a bit strange.  However, if Norway were going to play China tomorrow I would think there would have been some mention about this by Eli Landsem.   ???

Yeah...but where would the NTB journalist get the info about the 3 x 30 minutes? I'd guess that comes from Landsem, even though it's not stated as such. NTB journalists don't have much time to research their articles and would struggle to find any info about Saturday's match (internet searches hasn't given me much).

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
La Manga
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 12:14:39 AM »
Yeah...but where would the NTB journalist get the info about the 3 x 30 minutes? I'd guess that comes from Landsem, even though it's not stated as such. NTB journalists don't have much time to research their articles and would struggle to find any info about Saturday's match (internet searches hasn't given me much).

A second match against China tomorrow would give Landsem another good opportunity to evaluate her squad. I'm sure the Norwegian players wouldn't mind staying in Spain for a little while longer too (tomorrow's forecast for La Manga is for an afternoon high temperature of +17°C).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:25:42 AM by norge95 »

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Norway 1 England 1
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 12:50:24 AM »
Norway deserved a win over England tonight but the chief was pleased with the match.

The match was featured on the 21.25 TV 2 sports news, and Lise Klaveness's penalty after 5 minutes, the England keeper saved it with a tiger-leap just inside her right post.  England's goal came from Farah Williams, with no presence from Norwegian defenders.  Norway's goal was from a super 40-yard free kick right on to Christensen's head, I think it came from Leni Larsen Kaurin.

Erlend gave us yet another way of spelling Hedda's name - now we have Garsjord (true), Gardsjord (popular), Gardsfjord (VG) and now Gardjord (Erlend) :)

Interesting to see Lise Klaveness wearing no. 7 which is Trine Rønning's number.  But then Lise is never 100% certain to be wearing the right shirt or even to wear matching socks  :)  

TV2 Sport article with video clips of the goals and interview with Trine Rønning:
http://msn.tv2sporten.no/fotball/landslag/uavgjort-for-fotballjentene-3105858.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:45:00 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 03:58:55 PM »
Norway will play an unofficial match against China on Saturday over 3 x 30 minutes.
http://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/kvinner/artikkel.php?artid=593439
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
    • Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 02:15:53 AM »
A Chinese poster elsewhere said the 3x30 match ended with a 3-1 win for China. (No sources though.)
If the only prayer you say in your whole life is thank you, that would suffice.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 06:07:59 PM »
In other, very belated, news, the 3,000-seater stadium at Hønefoss has been chosen as site for the qualifier against FYR Macedonia on 27 March.

Might get 100 to watch, if they're lucky. No kick-off time announced yet.

http://www.honefossbk.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1645:blir-landskamparena&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=88

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
NORGES TROPP TIL ALGARVE
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 10:52:08 PM »
Eli Landsem has selected Norway's Algarve Cup Squad:

http://www.fotball.no/Landslag_og_toppfotball/Landslag/A-kvinner/2010/Norges-tro

Ingrid Hjelmseth - Stabæk
Christine Colombo Nilsen - Lyon
Lisa-Marie Woods - Stabæk
Marit F. Christensen - Røa
Maren Mjelde - Arna/Bjørnar
Toril H. Akerhaugen - Stabæk
Hedda Strand Gardsjord - Røa
Leni Larsen Kaurin - Frankfurt
Guro Knutsen Mienna - Røa
Anneli Giske - Fløya
Ingvild Stensland - Lyon
Trine Rønning - Stabæk
Lene Storløkken - LSK Kvinner
Solveig Gulbrandsen - Stabæk
Lise Klaveness - Stabæk
Lene Mykjåland - Røa
Isabell Herlovsen - Lyon
Elise Thorsnes - Røa
Cecilie Pedersen - Avaldsnes
Lindy Melissa Wiik - Wolfsburg

Kampene skal spilles som følger (bane og klokkeslett ikke bekreftet):

24.02: Sverige - Norge,
26.02: Norge - USA,
01.03: Norge - Island
03.03: Plasseringskamp
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:56:02 PM by norge95 »

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 11:57:05 PM »
Seven from last time, not included are: are Marita Skammelsrud Lund, Kristin Lie, Siri Nordeide Grønli, Ingrid Ryland, Camilla Huse, Gry Tofte Ims, Marie Knutsen (Lie and Knutsen did not go).  It's down to 20 now as usual.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:07:36 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.