Author Topic: Norwegian players 2009  (Read 37665 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Erika Skarbø back in training
« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2009, 10:01:40 PM »
The nightmare is over for Erika Skarbø.  Now she is more motivated than ever before to take up the contest to be Norway's top and first-choice keeper.

Erika Espeseth Skarbø got the good news last Friday that the wrist that has given her so much trouble is now completely recovered.  So the Arna-Bjørnar and Norway keeper can at long last take up training as a goalkeeper again.  "Everything has grown perfectly", smiled Skarbø, who is on an autumn holiday at her parents' west-coast home in Ulsteinvik.

The 22-year-old keeper with 13 international caps at senior level and 53 appearances for Arna-Bjørnar was operated on on January 21.  The surgery was unexpectedly complicated and the recovery time has been a lot longer than Skarbø had hoped.  The plaster came off in July.  "I have been struggling with articulation in the wrist but have been taking it gradually.  It has been getting better and better.  Anyway it is fantastic to be able to train again", she said.

Now the aim is to be 100 percent fit for her Bergen club, Arna-Bjørnar, by the start of January.  "I have never been as motivated as I am now.  After having been out for so long I have one thought in my head and that is that I am a keeper.  I can't say other than that I am super motivated", she smiled.

Erika Skarbø makes no excuses for saying that she has been through some difficult months.  "It was very difficult not to be available for the European Cup.  It was a lot tougher to have to follow it from the sofa on TV than I had thought, but I am really happy for Ingrid Hjelmseth that she has had the pleasure and experience of playing on the national team in the championship".

"Are you ready for the national team?"  -  "The national team is a little way into the future, but there is no doubt that is the aim.  There is nothing I want more than to come back with the number 1 on my back", said Erika Espeseth Skarbø.

Iselin Nevstad Øvrelid http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article152386.ece
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:40:43 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Re: Norwegian players 2009
« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2009, 10:11:54 PM »
Hi Bonnie, yes, it is good news without a doubt after so many months of uncertainty.  

It was maybe even more worrying after the plaster came off and she was having different advice from different doctors.  Obviously hardly anyone ever has a broken wrist-bone that goes untreated for five years, so it could be expected that no-one was really sure how it would turn out, and those phrases like 'avascular necrosis' and 'traumatic arthritis' were always a threat.  The news that everything has grown back perfectly is really as good as it can get.

All that time she has been through the grades in the national youth teams and made it to the national team and on to the Olympics, and all that with a broken bone - so how good can she be now that she is well?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:34:24 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2009, 07:00:30 AM »
Great indeed. Also great to hear about Maiken, even though it's about her being injured. Of course, Alan is stretching the definition of "Norwegian players" a bit...

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2009, 10:30:36 AM »
 . . that's what I think when I read the Sunnmørsposten :)
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Norwegian profs back at work in France and Germany
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2009, 11:35:34 AM »
Ingvild Stensland and Leni Larsen Kaurin helped their clubs through to the next round of the Champions League on Wednesday. 

Norway skipper Stensland was on the pitch when Olympique Lyonnaise met the Serbian team Masinac.  She was substituted halfway through the second half when her team had a 1-0 lead.  Her replacement, Elodie Thomis, scored almost immediately, and OL eventually won the match 5-0.

Kaurin was taken off at half time with her team Turbine Potsdam leading FC Honka from Finland by 3-0.  Turbine eventually won the match by 8-0.

On aggregate Olympique Lyonnaise go through to the next round by 6-0, and Turbine Potsdam won their two-match tie by 16-1.

http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article152427.ece 
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
Re: Norwegian profs back at work in France and Germany
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2009, 12:59:57 PM »
Ingvild Stensland and Leni Larsen Kaurin helped their clubs through to the next round of the Champions League on Wednesday. 

Norway skipper Stensland was on the pitch when Olympique Lyonnaise met the Serbian team Masinac.  She was substituted halfway through the second half when her team had a 1-0 lead.  Her replacement, Elodie Thomis, scored almost immediately, and OL eventually won the match 5-0.

Kaurin was taken off at half time with her team Turbine Potsdam leading FC Honka from Finland by 3-0.  Turbine eventually won the match by 8-0.

On aggregate Olympique Lyonnaise go through to the next round by 6-0, and Turbine Potsdam won their two-match tie by 16-1.

http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article152427.ece 

Kaurin also came off the bench to play the last 15 minutes in the league match against Bayern München on Sunday, scoring the 3-2 goal after having been on for 4 minutes. Potsdam let in an equaliser though.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
Re: Erika Skarbø back in training
« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2009, 01:10:23 PM »
"I have been struggling with articulation in the wrist

ah yes...see what you mean about nynorsk   ;)

"rørsla" = "movement" - so she couldn't move her wrist freely, basically.

Otherwise decent though, clearly it's not that hard ;)
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2009, 05:35:50 PM »
OK, but it was the next paragraph where I was faced with so many unfamiliar words I just winged it . . :)
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Lene Mykjåland not selected
« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2009, 01:37:19 PM »
Lene Mykjåland must wait for her comeback in the Norway national team.  When the new trainer Eli Landsem announced her new squad on Monday afternoon - for World-Cup qualification matches against Netherlands and Slovakia - there was no place for Mykjåland.

"Obviously it's very disappointing", said Mykjåland to fvn.no.  The player from Kristiansand, who left the national team along with four of her Røa teammates, had hoped to be among those selected.  But on Sunday evening she had the news that it had changed.  "Eli phoned me and told me I was not on her list.  It's a converstion I appreciate, but obviously the news is disappointing", she said.  

"What did Eli say?"  -  "We talked about the selection but I don't want to say more than that".

"What do you think about playing on the team?"  -  "It's something to work on.  But this time it was not the selection we had spoken about.  But I have been injured a while and have not shown my best form, so it was a not a shock that I was not selected", said Mykjåland.

She has some things to look forward to in the autumn, like a possible professional career in Washington, USA.  "It's exciting and I hope something will come of it.  It would be great to try myself out in the USA next year.  It looks better now than when Washington were in touch last year", said Mykjåland, without developing the point.

As well as decisive matches in the Toppserien, the Cup and the Champions League, Mykjåland is waiting for the next discussions with Washington Freedom.  Three weeks ago she was 'drafted' by the club, which means she can not go to another American club in preference to Washington.  Mykjåland's contract with Røa finishes next season, but has a clause that she can go to a foreign club before that.

On Saturday the Kristiansand player put the finishing touches to the match against Amazon Grimstad when she scored the 3-0 goal with a penalty.  With that she is the top scorer in the league with 19 goals - one more than Stabæk's Kristy Moore.  The two teams will meet in the last round on October 31 in what could be the League Final.  With two matches to go, Røa are three points ahead but Stabæk has the better goal difference.  

A week after that Mykjåland will play in the Cup Final against Team Strømmen.  Røa are also through to the next round of the Champions League.  "I really hope this thigh injury isn't worse than I thought.  But whether that affectd my selection for the national team, I don't know about that", she said.

Røa's trainer hopes that Mykjåland will stay at home.  "I hope we can keep Lene, but I wish her good luck if she decides to accept a professional contract.  She has been super-important for us this year and is in the form of her life", said Geir Nordby.  

Kjetil Flygind, Rune Stensland http://fotball.adressa.no/eliteserien/article152795.ece

Alltid. Uansett.

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2009, 07:17:58 PM »
Washington is a great city, and as strike partners go, Abby Wambach has played a little.  I have a funny feeling they will write the book next year.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
International interest in Cecilie Pedersen
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2009, 07:28:44 PM »
Clubs in Sweden and the USA are hunting the 19-year-old European Cup goal-scorer from Norway's west coast.  Boston Breakers have approached her club, Avaldsnes.  "They wrote that they would like to speak to me, but I have not talked to them yet.  It's great that they have noticed me", said Pedersen to TV 2 Sport.

The Avaldsnes player had her international breakthrough in the summer's European Cup in Finland after being a surprise choice for the Norway team.

A Swedish club is also interested in the Division-2 forward.  But she is staying where she is.  "I am not ready to move yet.  I might continue at Avaldsnes next year as well, I don't know.  I am not going to decide before closer to Christmas", she said.

All Toppserien clubs apart from Amazon Grimstad have also shown interest in Pedersen.

Mirjam Pletanek Klingenberg http://msn.tv2sporten.no/fotball/toppserien/internasjonal-interesse-for-cecilie-pedersen-2952697.html

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 07:34:30 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Janne Stange in new role
« Reply #191 on: October 15, 2009, 09:04:09 PM »
Stabæk's Janne Stange is the NFF's new trainee.  "I am so glad to have this chance.  It feels as if I have won the lottery.  I am looking forward to working here and learning as much as possible, and with luck I have something to contribute as well", said 23-year-old Stange.

Last year the NFF started up a trinee scheme for Toppserien players with StatoilHydro.  The programm, called 'Tomorrow's Heros', brings the trainee in to all the NFF's departments.  Last year Kolbotn player Ingvild Isaksen was selected, this year it is Janne Stange.

Living by women's football is a difficult prospect, and the girls usually have to work outside football.  The NFF's trainee is allowed to give a high priority to training and matches, which makes it easier to combine a career with football.  "It is great for me to realise that I can organise my days differently.  My first day here was interrupted by a lot of training, but everyone was very understanding", said Janne.

Stange is from Karmøy in Rogaland and has played football as long as she can remember.  She really had no ambitions to play top football but her talent was spotted when she was 16 and she moved over to Asker and the top sports school.  She had a year to try something new, but now seven years later she continues as a Stabæk player after Asker was taken over at the end of last year.

She has also been through the grades in the national youth teams, and it is no surprise that she hopes that the senior team is the next target she wants to cross off on the list.  "Obviously it's a dream, but my full focus is on the club team so we'll have to see what the future brings", she smiled, and emphasises the importance of allowing top women footballers that chance of combining work with sport.  "If the product is to be better the football must be better, and that will happen if the players have a better chance to attend training, matches and meetings.  It is very important for the development of Norwegian women's football", said Janne Stange.  

Marit Waagaard Thomassen http://www.fotball.no/nff/NFF-nyheter/2009/Janne-Stange-trainee/

Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
"Memorable" week in Bergen
« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »
It has been a week of intense training and sightseeing with Arna-Bjørnar for Lorraine Quinn (23) from the USA.  She is going home with a good impression.  "I have been taken very good care of.  The club has really worked to give me a memorable visit", said Lorraine to Bygdanytt.

The American Under-23 international player was collected from the airport in Bergen by team leader Tore Thorsen and trainer Morten Kalvenes on Sunday.  "I have trained with the team every day and got to know the style the trainer wants us to play.  Off the pitch they have taken me round and helped me to get to know the city", she said.

On Tuesday Lorraine visited the Fish Market and other sights in Bergen.  She especially liked the views from the two mountain-tops above Bergen, Fløyen and Ulriken.  "They were spectacular", she said.

Lorraine has shared a house with Ingrid Ryland and the new signing Astrid Grøttå Ree during the week.  "Great girls who have made me very welcome.  It has been great to stay with them and get to know them", she said.

"How has it gone on the training pitch?"  -  "I have thrived, but the way they play is a little different from how we play in the USA".

"In what way?"  -  "They play the ball on more quickly than I am used to.  In the USA the style is more based on keeping the ball".

At home Lorraine Quinn has played for Duke University in Long Island and for Long Island Fury in the so-called Womens Premier Soccer League (WPSL).  "For the last two years we have reached the final stage, among the eight best teams", she said.  Quinn has also played in all the international youth teams in her home country: U-16, U-17, U-19, U-20 and U-23.  

Lorraine started with football in New York when she was 10.  "I knew nothing about playing but my mother got me interested, and I loved it very quickly.  I also played in boys' teams in the first years and later for girls' college teams".

"What is your stength?"  -  "I am good at driving the ball, and I can read the play well both in attack and defence".

Lorraine Quiin says that she was invitied for a trial with Arna-Bjørnar in the spring, but turned it down.  "They contacted me again and gave me the chance of getting to know the club, the town and Norwegian women's football.  It was a good chance so I took it".

"Have you considered that you might move to Bergen?"  -  "It's a decision that has to be taken by the club's trainers as well as me.  But the impression so far has been very good and Bergen is a beautiful place.  I would definitely consider it", said Lorraine Quinn.  "I will meet the trainers and see what the club is going to offer me.  Then I will be able to make a decision", she added.

On Saturday Quinn will watch the Arna-Bjørnar home match against Røa, and on Sunday morning she will travel back home.  

André Leknessund Wik http://www.bygdanytt.no/sport/article949945.ece
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:20:48 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
"Whole world" hunting Herlovsen
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2009, 11:21:18 PM »
Isabell Herlovsen (21) is lost to Norwegian club football.  The young player can pick and choose among offers from the world's best leagues in Germany, Sweden, France and USA.

Herlovsen confirmed to VG Nett that she will be leaving Kolbotn and Norway when her contract runs out in November.  Clubs from four countries have been in contact.  "It means I have a lot to choose from", said the 21-year-old.

The daughter of former Borussia Mönchengladbach player Kai Erik Herlovsen was in fact born in Germany.  Last weekend the 21-year-old was back in the land of her birth to look at the conditions at a so-far unnamed club.  VG knows that the French club Olympique Lyonnaise wants Herlovsen in their team next season.  FC Gold Pride in the USA and a Swedish club have also thrown their hats into the ring.

"We'll have to see what will happen.  The most important thing is to find what is best for me and my football development", said Herlovsen, who is planning to make a decision at the end of October.

The Kolbotn striker, who three years ago visited the English club Arsenal, thinks Germany and the USA have the best leagues in the world.  She is less certain about the level in France.  "Germany and USA have a consistent good level.  In France it is a little more like it is in Norway, some good teams, some not so good", she thinks.

"What suits you best?"  -  "The Germans are known for their tough playing style, and in France they are more technical.  I am really a tough player but at the same time you can perhaps develop more of the technical side in the French league.  It has always been a dream of mine to play in the USA but whether it will happen now I don't know.  It's a difficult choice", said Herlovsen.

Her Dad Kai Erik had seven years at Borussia Mönchengladbach and now advises his daughter.  It does not necessarily mean that the choice will go to Germany according to the player herself.  "No, it's my choice and my decision.  Just now I don't know what tempts me the most", said Isabell Herlovsen.      

Wegard Bakkehaug http://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/kvinner/artikkel.php?artid=575292

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:57:53 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Norwegians in Europe
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2009, 11:51:36 PM »
Olympique Lyonnaise has had players from Norway before, starting with Bente Nordby, ex-Kolbotn keeper, who spent the final two years of her career there, and Ingvild Stensland, ex-Kolbotn captain, now the captain of Norway and still an OL player.  The other Norwegian playing professionally in Europe is Leni Larsen Kaurin at Turbine Potsdam, Germany.
Photo: Leni (3rd left) with Turbine teammates.

Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Madeleine out with more knee trouble
« Reply #195 on: October 21, 2009, 12:19:26 PM »
Madeleine Giske had more grim news yesterday when she found that a meniscus was damaged.  "I could not believe it, really", she said,

The Arna-Bjørnar player who also played for Norway in the World Cup picked up the injury in the Sandviken match on October 10, a match she scored three goals in.  "I remember being tackled in the first half.  It was very painful, mostly in the lower leg.  But it it not really definite that is when it happened", said the 22-year-old.  She had noticed stiffness in the knee some days before the local derby.  "But it felt all right to train", she said.

Now she needs surgery on the left knee.  The doctors will either sew the meniscus together as it is or they will remove it.  The two operations have very different outcomes.  "If it is sewn you are out for six months.  If they remove it, it's quicker, two to three weeks", said orthopaedic surgeon Ove Austgulen, who treated Giske last year but said he was speaking generally as he had not seen her this time.  "If the meniscus is repaired it lets the knee remain fit for longer and a normal lifetime's use is expected.  Without it there is a risk of earlier deterioration".  

Giske has had a very unlucky time in the last year.  In June 2008 she tore a cruciate ligament in the same left knee in a league match.  "You could say I have been unfortunate", she said.

Arna-Bjørnar trainer Morten Kalvenes thinks it is unfortunate that Giske is injured again.  "It is bad for her and the club.  I am waiting to see what alternatives she has for the operation".  He thinks Giske was well on the way back to her good old form when this new injury came.  "The match she played for us at Sandviken was her best this season.  It is so unlucky".

Giske reckons the operation will be done within a couple of weeks.  Arna-Bjørnar has one match left this season - away at Kattem on October 31.

Silje Dyregrov http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article153513.ece
A good site all about the knee joint: http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp05001.htm

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:25:07 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
    • Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC
« Reply #196 on: October 22, 2009, 02:54:48 AM »
Oh my god. Poor Giske!

Between her and Skarbø, I'm not sure who's had the worst luck the past year.
If the only prayer you say in your whole life is thank you, that would suffice.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 22, 2009, 09:46:09 AM »
She definitely looked upset after the Sandviken match, I thought it was strange after a hat-trick . .
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Maren Mjelde in new role
« Reply #198 on: October 22, 2009, 06:25:43 PM »
I missed this after the European Cup:

In the middle of the disappointment after the semifinal defeat Maren Mjelde could see some positives.

The 19-year-old performed in a new role in the match against Germany in the Finnair Stadium.  When veteran Trine Bjerke Rønning had to throw in the towel before the semifinal with a knee injury, Mjelde lost her constant partner in the back four throughout the championship.  With that, the job of chief of the back line fell vacant, and the fearless Arna-Bjørnar player took it on.

Through large parts of the match the 19-year-old made life tricky for two of the world's best strikers - and neither Inka Grings nor Birgit Prinz got on the scoring list.  Once she was fooled by Grings, but keeper Ingrid Hjelmseth came up with a brilliant save.  "I felt I had good control on Prinz, but it didn't help when other players scored goals", said Mjelde, who earned a yellow card after half time and would have had to miss the Final.  "The card was ok", she smiled.

After the match she received praise from the chief, Bjarne Berntsen.  "Maren was brilliant, and has been through the whole European Cup.  She has a big future in front of her", said Berntsen.

She herself was disappointed after the match but looked for high points.  "This was without doubt the biggest match of my career, and it went beyond all expectations.  Obviously I am disappointed just now, but it has been a big and positive experience", said Maren Mjelde.  

Stian Grythaugen http://www.ba.no/sport/fotball/kvinnefotball/article4567719.ece

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:31:49 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Abdullah in the news
« Reply #199 on: October 23, 2009, 07:44:46 PM »
The NFF has set up a collaboration with IMDi (Integrerings- og mangfoldsdirektoratet or Integration Directorate of the Norwegian government).  The goal is to recruit more children from diverse cultural backgrounds and to make them part of the football family.

"The sports field is is an important meeting-pace and it is vital to attract more from immigrant communities.  Football does good work towards integration", said government minister Dag Terje Andersen when he opened the project for girls' football at Linderud field earlier in the year.

The minister got to meet Nasra Abdullah, Mostafa Abdellaoue and Dawda Leigh, three well known players in Team Strømmen and Vålerenga football clubs.  All three have an immigrant background and wanted to take part in the launch of the project.

"I think this is a great project.  Through football I have discovered something I am good at.  It has been up to me to decide how far I want to go. I think it is good that it has become easier for girls to become footballers, and I hope in the future there will be more Toppserien players with overseas backgrounds", said Abdullah, who has also played on the national team.

Football President Sondre Kåfjord thinks that football wants to foster integration and has a duty to do it.  "Football builds bridges between people.  We want football to be for all.  With 400,000 active members it's obvious that it is an important national institution.  We must use that to formulate positive values", he said.

Le Hang Duong http://www.fotball.no/nff/Inkludering/Flerkulturelle/2009/Samarbeidsavtale-med-IMDi/  

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:46:52 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.